Pupils are happy and kept safe. They appreciate and understand the school’s values of kindness, unity and courage. Parents and carers praise the inclusive family atmosphere that the school has.
Welcome to Reception - Mexico class!
We feel privileged to be able to work with children at the start of their learning journey. We believe our children should be taught in a nurturing and stimulating environment where the children will develop a love for learning and enhance their confidence. We follow the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum, which incorporates different areas of learning: Communication and Language Development; Personal, Social and Emotional Development; Literacy Development; Mathematics Development; Understanding the World; Expressive Arts and design and Physical Development. Through the EYFS curriculum we encourage the children to independently explore, create, discover, take risks and learn through play.
The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) curriculum consists of the 7 areas of learning and development, which are split into 3 prime areas (PSED, C&L and PD) and 7 specific areas:
- ) - Develops the confidence and independence of children both individually and as part of a group.
- - develops children's ability to communicate effectively through the development of speaking and listening skills.
- - develops children's skills in fine and gross motor movements, improving control and coordination of the body and help children to learn to move and handle equipment efficiently.
- - develops early skills in reading and writing and included phonics.
- - develops children's understanding of number, measurement, shape, space patterns and quantity.
- - develops children's understanding of the world around them helping them to investigate their environment, community and use of technology.
- - children learn to communicate through colour, shape, sound, texture, dance, role play and stories.
Books will be changed once a week but please ensure your child brings in their book bags every day. Please try to read with your child every night.
If you have any questions or concerns, please speak to Mrs Coote (Early Years Lead) or arrange an appointment.
Our EYFS curriculum aims to enable our children to be:
- Competent and creative learners; who are curious about the world around them and are proud to be a part of the TSM Family
- Secure and confident and independent learners who enjoy learning new skills and knowledge building on their existing learning.
- Skilled communicators; who connect with others through language and play, ensuring that they play in a vocabulary rich environment.
- Practise shared moral values and celebrate our Christian distinctiveness as a Church of England school.
Reception Curriculum Overview
We use Tapestry to keep our parents connected to their children in EYFS. Tapestry is a good way to gain insight to what we do in a school day. We will provide regular online updates from us but you can join in and upload photos and videos from home; this might be the moments when you see that your child is making progress with counting or phonics, it might be them telling a story or a record of a day trip or adventure.
This video runs through how as a parent or relative on Tapestry you can add your own observations of your children.