South Africa Class
Welcome to South Africa Class!
In our Nursery, the children are introduced to a warm and welcoming school life where the children learn through play. The school day offers children a range of practical and creative activities and develops oral, literacy and numeracy skills as well as placing emphasis on independence and social interaction. The EYFS curriculum is tailored to cater for each individual child’s needs; ensuring that children are making continuous progress whilst maintaining confidence and a can-do attitude. Children can join us at any point during the year, and can begin their learning journey with us the term after their third birthday. We focus on various topics throughout the year; Ourselves; Celebrations; Super Heroes, Space, Growth and Change and the Seaside.
The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) curriculum consists of the 7 areas of learning and development, which are split into 3 prime areas (PSED, C&L and PD) and 7 specific areas:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development (PSED) - Develops the confidence and independence of children both individually and as part of a group.
- Communication and Language (C&L) - develops children's ability to communicate effectively through the development of speaking and listening skills.
- Physical Development (PD) - develops children's skills in fine and gross motor movements, improving control and coordination of the body and help children to learn to move and handle equipment efficiently.
- Literacy - develops early skills in reading and writing and included phonics.
- Mathematics - develops children's understanding of number, measurement, shape, space patterns and quantity.
- Understanding the World (UW) - develops children's understanding of the world around them helping them to investigate their environment, community and use of technology.
- Expressive Arts and Design (EA&D) - children learn to communicate through colour, shape, sound, texture, dance, role play and stories.
We have P.E. every Wednesday. Kits can be left at school and will be sent home every half term.
Reading books are changed twice a week, on Mondays and Fridays. We go to the school library once a week, every Friday to collect fun, new books for us to read in class. We also occasionally go to Balham Library too.
Every half term we go on a nature walk to Wandsworth Common with Reception.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to arrange a meeting with me after school.